Monday, January 17, 2011

How to Live

Lately, Michael and I are trying to figure out how God wants us to live our lives. We started this when we gave up cable. I really like how it has shaped our lives so far. I might turn on the tv in the morning to watch the news. I am not watching any shows and it's great. There is not this need to create room in my schedule so I can watch a show before another show comes out the next week. I think it has helped our marriage. Before kids, it was nice to watch some shows with Michael. We had other available time to talk and pray together. But now, with kids in the mix, quality time with each other is limited to say the least. I also like how my girls are used to having the tv off and won't be bombarded with advertising telling them what toy they should have. Then there's all the things that are inappropriate that they won't see or hear. I bought AppleTV for Michael for Christmas this year. It gives us the opportunity to watch a show or two, but we mainly use it to rent movies for home dates. It's also good to find things for Audrey. Right now Audrey is watching a Veggie Tales movie. So, we haven't completely cut it off, but tv has dropped significantly on the priority list.

Now, we are trying to focus on our goal in life. We know that service is going to increase. I want to open my eyes more to the needs of those around me. God wants us to care for widows and orphans, right? I don't know if I've ever done anything for people in that category. How about the poor and hungry? I need to do more. We are studying James with some friends, and we have some ideas floating around on how we might serve together.

Basically, I don't want the only thing that makes me different than the world is that I go to church and occasionally serve. I feel God is calling us to do more, sacrifice more, stretch more. Major changes may lie ahead. We'll just have to see where God calls us.

2 comments:

Lynn Leaming said...

This kind of life changing committment is refreshing Brooke! I know God is so honored by what you are doing. I can't wait to hear more about what He leads you to do and the many blessings you recieve in the meantime. What an awesome legacy you are laying for Julia and Audrey!

Meredith said...

you are so right. we get free cable in our apartment now but when we didn't have it, i can guarantee i got more done. i hate what it can bring into our home too, the negativity, immorality and other bad things floating around in t.v. land. even when trying to avoid shows like that (and we do! promise! ) it can still seep in. son you go girl! :)
YOURS, MINE AND OURS